The First Grade Language Arts curriculum uses the Readers Workshop Model program which addresses the five key areas of reading: Phonemic Awareness, Phonics, Fluency, Vocabulary, Comprehension.
Readers Workshop Model program
- Gives students the foundation of reading skills
- Provides practice that increases their confidence
- Assesses their progress along the way
- Provides additional help and challenges where they need it
- Exposes them to writing experiences integrating kidwriting
- Inspires them with reading selections across a variety of genres
The following themes are covered in first grade
- Back to School
- Where Animals Live
- I am Responsible!
- Our Neighborhoods at Work
- What's the weather?
- North, South, East, West
- I Think I Can
- Away We Grow
- Home Sweet Home
- I Am Brave
Science, Social Studies and Character Education are integrated throughout the
Readers Workshop Model program.
DIBELS (Dynamic Indicators of Basic Literacy Skills) is used to assess the students' progress in language arts three times a year.
Eureka Math - details coming soon
Email the teachers: